Click Fraud is a procedure (and also a illegal practice) that can occur when certain individuals (or bots) will click on a website's ads with the only reason to consume the advertiser's budget. This way the advertiser will suffer losses, the ROI will decrease and the profitability will suffer.
The illegal clicks could be performed in multiple way, as:
- a person will click manually on the advertisers hyperlinks
- someone will use an automated software or online bots that have been programmed to click on certain banner ads
- someone who is using proxy servers to hide his IP and will manually or automatically click on the ads
- someone who is using VPN servers to click on an advertiser ads
Usually click fraud is used by two categories of individuals or companies:
1. competing individuals or companies that would want inflict losses to competing websites.
2. individuals that are earning money through Google AdSense and are clicking on the ads shown on their websites.
Click fraud or Invalid Clicks
The expression "invalid clicks" (that you will most certainly find in the Google AdWords interface) is somehow similar to "click fraud"
but it is not the same thing. Invalid Clicks also include accidental clicks or other kinds of automatically generated ad-traffic that is
not the result of real user clicks.
Advertising networks are able to identify certain fraudulent clicks that are being considered "invalid clicks", but unfortunately not all of
the real click fraud is being filtered. But fortunately big advertisement platforms are accepting the submission of user reports, where the
user can request refunds of money spend on fraudulent clicks as long as the client is able to provide proof of fraud:
Click Fraud monitoring and reporting
Click fraud monitoring is a pretty new concept as a software service. Most companies rely on interpreting of server logs to identify click
fraud, but parsing and analyzing logs takes a lot of time, a lot of resources and there is a big problem related to the fact that after gathering
the data a user will also need to implement a logic system that is able to detect the click fraud.
A more efficient way in monitoring click fraud will be using of Xiona Tracking system, that gathers the data in real time, automatically creates
useful reports and presents click fraud reports that are pretty easy to understand.